Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (RA.) & some info from his biography

Sad ibn Abi Waqqas (R)

Anas bin Malik (R) said, Once we were sitting with the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), then He said: “Now a person of Paradise will come to you.” So a man came whose beard was dripping with water of ablution while He had his two shoes hanging in his left hand. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said the same thing the next day. Then the same person came like the first day. Then on the third day, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said the same thing. After there, that same person came like the first day. Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (Rh) has narrated this event fully in his Musnad (Hadith No. 12720). And that person was Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (R). He was one of the dearest people to Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him), and he never envied anyone.

So now, I will present a few valuable pieces of information about him from his biography that will clarify his identity. Also, I will mention some dignity of him. So let’s first know something about his early life.

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (R) and his early life story

His real name is Sa’d. His father’s name was Abu Waqqas, and his other name was Malik. The nickname of Sa’d was Abu Ishaq. So the full name of Sa’d (R) as the descendant is Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas Malik bin Wahaib bin Abd Manaf bin Zuhra bin Qilab bin Murra. And his mother’s name was Hamnah bint Sufyan bin Umayya bin Abd Shams bin Abd Manaf bin Qusai. [Tabaqat al-Kubra, volume 3, page 137]

Sa’d (R) was born in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, to a Quraish dynasty. He had a kinship relationship with the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him). And he had a good relationship with Abu Bakr (R). He was interested in shooting arrows and making bows since childhood, and then he became an expert in archery, hunting and war. Sa’d (R) did not spend his childhood and adolescence time in vain and unnecessary works.

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (R) and his mother’s reaction after his acceptation Islam

Abu Bakr (R) invited him to Islam, and he accepted his invitation and went to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and accepted Islam. Sa’d (R) said: I was the third person to accept Islam. I accepted Islam since on the day that Allah did not make prayers obligatory. And I accepted Islam at the age of seventeen. [Tabaqat al-Kubra, volume 3, page 138]

“And I have enjoined upon man goodness to parents. But if they endeavour to make you associate with Me that of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them. To Me is your return, and I will inform you about what you used to do.” [Surah Al-Ankabut, verse 8]

Sa’d (R) also said: This verse has been revealed about me. I was well dutiful with my mother. Then when I accepted Islam, my mother asked me, “What is this the religion you have accepted?” You must give up your religion, or I will not eat or drink until I die. Then people will shame you about me and say, O killer of the mother. I said, O my mother! Don’t do this. I will never give up my religion for anything.

Then

Thus one day and night passed that she neither ate nor drank. The next day my mother began to suffer again, then I said, O mother! Know, I swear by Allah, of course, if I have a hundred souls and my souls go out one by one, I will not give up my religion, whether you eat or not. Then when his mother saw this condition, she ate and drank. [Siyar A’lam al-Nubala, volume 3, page: 75]

The dignity of Sa’d (R)

His many dignities are recorded in the books of Hadith and Islamic History. I am mentioning a few from those here.

Narrated Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas (R): On the day I accepted Islam, no one (except Khadijah (R) and Abu Bakr R.) had accepted Islam. I spent seven days in such a way that I was the third person to accept Islam. [Sahih Bukhari, Hadith No. 3727]

A’isha reported (R) that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) laid down on the bed during one night on his arrival at Medina and said: Are there a pious person from amongst my Companions who should keep a watch for me during the night? She (A’isha) reported: We were in this state that we heard the clanging noise of arms. Then (the Prophet) said: Who is it? He said: This is Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas. Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him: What brings you here? Thereupon he said: I feel fear in my heart upon the Messenger of Allah (that if any harm shall come to him), so I came to serve as your sentinel. Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) made Dua for him. He then slept. [Sahih Muslim, Hadith No. 2410]

Narrated Ali bin Abi Talib (R): I never heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioning both of his parents being ransomed for anyone except for Sa’d. On the Day of Uhud, I heard him saying: “Shoot, Sa’d, may my father and mother be ransomed for you.” [Jami at-Tirmidhi, Hadith No. 3755]

Narrated Sa’d (R) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “O Allah, respond to Sa’d when he supplicates to You.” [Jami at-Tirmidhi, Hadith No. 3751]

What was his contribution to Islam?

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (R) made many contributions to the religion of Allah. He left his home and wealth and migrated from Mecca to Medina. He participated in the battle of Badr. Sa’d (R) was one of those who protected the Messenger of Allah when the people fled from the war of Uhud. He was present at the battle of the Trench. In Hudaybiyyah, he took the Bay’ah with the Messenger of Allah. He participated in the war of Khaybar. He had three flags of the Muhajirs with himself during the conquest of Mecca. Indeed, he took part in all the battles with the Messenger of Allah. He was a skilled archer. [Tabaqat al-Kubra, volume 3, page 105]

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas (R) did all kinds of good deeds for the welfare of Muslims. He always stayed away from any chaos and confusion. In this regard, Amir bin Sa’d said that Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas (R) was taking care of his camels. Then his son ‘Umar came to him. When Sa’d (R) saw him, he said: I seek refuge with Allah from the mischief of this rider. And as he got down, he said to him: You are busy with your camels and your sheep, and you have abandoned people who are contending with one another for the kingdom. Sa’d (R) struck his chest and said: Keep quiet. I heard Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) say: “Allah loves the servant who is Allah-fearing and is free from want and is hidden (from the view of people).” [Sahih Muslim, Hadith No 2965]

How many hadiths are narrated in his source?

Sa’d (R) has narrated many hadiths from the Messenger of Allah (peace Allah be upon him). There are 15 hadiths in his source in Sahihain. Imam Bukhari (Rh) alonely has mentioned five hadiths. Imam Muslim (Rh) has mentioned 16 hadiths.

Ibn Umar, Ayesha, Ibn Abbas, As Sa’ib bin Yazid, and his sons Namely Amer, Omar, Muhammad, Mus’ab, Ibrahim, and others have narrated many hadith from Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas (R). Also Qays bin Abu Hazem, Saeed bin Musayyib, Abu Usman An Nahdi, Umar bin Maimun, Al Ahnaf bin Qays, Alkama bin Qays, Ibrahim bin Abdur Rahman bin Auf, Mujahid, Suraih bin Ubaid Al Himsi, Ayman Al Makki, Bishr bin Saed, Abu Abdur Rahman As Sulami, Abu Saleh Yaqwan, Urwah bin Zubair and others have narrated too much hadith from his source. [Siyar A’lam al-Nubala, volume 3, page: 66]

There are also 270 hadiths mentioned from him in Musnad Baqi bin Makhlad. Imam Ahmad bin Humble (Rh) has mentioned in his Musnad more than 170 hadiths.

His death

Imam Zuhri (Rh) said that when the time came for Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqas’s death, he asked to bring his old robe and said, “Shroud me in it.” Because I fought against the Polytheists on the day of the battle of Badr by wearing this dress, and surely I kept this dress secret for this time.

And Sa’d (R) died in a place called Aqiq outside Medina. He was carried on the shoulders of the people and brought to Medina. Then Marwan led his funeral prayer. The wives of the Prophet (peace be upon him) also participated in his funeral Salah. And he was buried in a place called Baqi. And according to the famous saying, this year was the year 55 AH, which is the majority opinion. He overtook the age of 80 according to the correct view. Abu Hatim (Rh) and others say that he died in 55 AH, and he was dead last among the Badri Companions. [Al-Bidaya wa’l-Nihaya, volume 11, page: 302 – 303]

Our Dua

May Allah Ta’ala grant us the grace to remain steadfast on Islam and to obey every command of Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). Ameen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment